Thread: Things that drive you mad in Thailand part 86

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keekwai View Post
    To borrow a line from Cyrille ... "I ...... agree .... with .... Bet"

Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crew View Post
    . but if they're a tourist, they ought to expect that signs and other postings will be in the local language.

Really? Thailand? A place that markets itself as a top tourist destination? A place that takes millions upon millions of Baht per year from tourists shouldn't try and an accomodate them in terms of language? In any way? Or only in ways you deem fit?

why not start putting signs in spanish, turkish, greek, hungarian, etc., etc., etc?
    Really? hmm... it would almost be a good idea if all the worlds countries just decided on one language... Say an 'international language' that everyone could use to interact with each other. It would also mean that they wouldn't need to put multiple translations on products and services. Now all we need to do is decided on one...
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

Used Buffalo Dealer Array keekwai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    A place that markets itself as a top tourist destination? A place that takes millions upon millions of Baht per year from tourists shouldn't try and an accomodate them in terms of language?
    I think they are accommodated enough already. But most tourists aren't buying packets of spicy buffalo wing mix in the local supermarket.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I grew up with this dish at home but it's British. Arai na?

วงกลมของคนเลี้ยงแกะ

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
    วงกลมของคนเลี้ยงแกะ
    Sometimes for a quick fix I buy a few frozen meat pies from Foodland/Patters and plop some instant mash potato on top.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

Really? Thailand? A place that markets itself as a top tourist destination? A place that takes millions upon millions of Baht per year from tourists shouldn't try and an accomodate them in terms of language? In any way? Or only in ways you deem fit?
    we're talking about recipes and nutritional information for foods like chicken korma, italian dressing mix and instructions on how to warm up the package of frozen dim sum. not exactly hot items on the average tourist's map, are they?

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

we're talking about recipes and nutritional information for foods like chicken korma, italian dressing mix and instructions on how to warm up the package of frozen dim sum. not exactly hot items on the average tourist's map, are they?
    Don't forget about the operating instructions for Coleman's Mustard, HP sauce and OFF! mosquito repellent...

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

They are for the long stay tourist who has gone the self-catering apartment route. Not everyone is here for five days in Bangkok including a trip to The River Kwai and The Crocodile Farm.

If I was the owner of let's say a packet sauce company and my products were on the supermarket shelves in Thailand, I would want those products to appeal to everyone and be accessible to everyone. If I knew that one person - regardless of their nationality - picked up my product out of idle curiosity, found out they couldn't read the instructions, so put the product back on the shelf (as I have done a number of times) - I would be miffed. In fact I would send my sales manager out to find out how many times this was possibly happening.

Miss Trix Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I.......agree.......with........tit.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thaitanium View Post
    I just had a deja vu...
    No joke .. but I did too re Hollows post...

Really? hmm... it would almost be a good idea if all the worlds countries just decided on one language... Say an 'international language' that everyone could use to interact with each other. It would also mean that they wouldn't need to put multiple translations on products and services. Now all we need to do is decided on one...
    I'm sure I've seen that or similar before ... Farangathai?

Spooky.

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by natalie8
    but what about tourists?
    Quote Originally Posted by keekwai
    Stuff the tourists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    They are for the long stay tourist who has gone the self-catering apartment route.
    Pretty tiny demographic there. Stuff them too.

vCash
    Thanks

They are for the long stay tourist who has gone the self-catering apartment route. Not everyone is here for five days in Bangkok including a trip to The River Kwai and The Crocodile Farm.
    of course, but what percentage of these folks are in our demographic?

and should one go to the manager at topps and ask why the labels are put on in such a way, any savvy manager would simply explain that the vast majority of their customers are thai, that space is limited and that the labels must be put somewhere. it goes back to an addage you often (rightfully repeat): you can't make everyone happy, take action and you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If I was the owner of let's say a packet sauce company and my products were on the supermarket shelves in Thailand, I would want those products to appeal to everyone and be accessible to everyone. If I knew that one person - regardless of their nationality - picked up my product out of idle curiosity, found out they couldn't read the instructions, so put the product back on the shelf (as I have done a number of times) - I would be miffed. In fact I would send my sales manager out to find out how many times this was possibly happening.
    and that same savvy manager will bust out statistics on demographics. demographics that prove that while whitey thinks thailand ought to bend over backwards for him and her, the vast majority of customers are thai and their needs will be met before the needs of a minority demographic. their winning argument might be that they can stop putting the thai language label on the product in order to recapture some lost sales but that more sales will be lost because their thai customers are putting the items back down.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

their winning argument might be that they can stop putting the thai language label on the product in order to recapture some lost sales but that more sales will be lost because their thai customers are putting the items back down.
    It's not an argument I think because the Food and Drug Admistration require a label on all imported foodstuffs.

vCash
    Thanks

It's not an argument I think because the Food and Drug Admistration require a label on all imported foodstuffs.
    In Health & Safety "unconscious" Thailand?

vCash
    Thanks

well, i suppose that makes it even tougher.

perhaps the manufacturer needs to rethink his product packaging or the country in which s/he does business.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast