-->
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Things that drive you mad in Thailand part 86

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    When you buy an imported jar or bottle of something or an imported packet sauce in a Thai supermarket, and they have stuck the cooking instructions label or the ingredients label (in Thai) over the English.
    Ummm this happens here with both Thai and Japanese products. Which shits me because the English is invaribly less detailed or misleading.

I wonder if they put the label somewhere else, say over the name and brand, we wouldn't get people on here complaining "I can read the cooking instructions but I have no fucking idea what it is in this can...."

do people actually forget that stupid shit happens back home....
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bet View Post
    The mustard and ketchup may be imported and have labels in the Devil's script plastered over the nutritional facts...

Ah, that's as maybe. I like to live a little dangerously every now and again. Some get their kicks from bungee jumping - I can do a 7-11 pork burger. Horses for courses.

And all that nutritional information guff, well, I've never had much time for any of that nonsense. I can't abide these finicky folk, picking away at their food with their 'intolerances' and their 'allergies' and whatever else daytime TV has diagnosed 'em with. Soft buggers. Not when there's folk starving in the world. Eat the bloody thing - and be bloody grateful you've got food in your belly. There's plenty haven't. Think on.

As for reading the labels in Thai script. ..okay, but I'd have to understand what the Thai word meant. Otherwise it's just a word that I can say. I've only recently discovered that cilantro is coriander. I'd be knackered with an E number in Thai.
    "Take this, brother; may it serve you well."

Reincarnated .. Again Array
    vCash
    Thanks

When you tell a gas station attendant to fill up your bike tank and the counter gets to 80 Baht, the tank is almost full, but they keep eking out a few more drops till it it gets to 83 Baht. Then you end up with more coins to throw into the jar on top of the fridge and petrol slopped all over the maps under the seat.
    I'm dead. Bye.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Key View Post
    I can't abide these finicky folk, picking away at their food with their 'intolerances' and their 'allergies'
    'intolerances' and 'allergies' are just God's way of saying you're not exposing yourself to enough bacteria and viruses. your immune system has nothing else to do but attack itself.

vCash
    Thanks

There's not enough muck eating going on with kids these days, that's what I say (he said, warming to his theme and being gradually taken over by the wandering demon of a dead northern Englishwoman). It's all clean surfaces this - and 'best before' dates that. There's perfectly good food being thrown out every day 'cos of a bit of mould. I ask you! Just cut the bluey-green stuff off if it bothers that much. It'll fry.

A bath a week. That's more than sufficient. Cleanliness leads to weakness. Dirt protects.

Get some germs. The more the merrier.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    'intolerances' and 'allergies' are just God's way of saying you're not exposing yourself to enough bacteria and viruses. your immune system has nothing else to do but attack itself.
    probably another thread but I was discussing this earlier this week. Anaphalaxic allergies (correct term?) are rising in children at an epidemic rate. People are so full of antibiotics that our DNA is changing which is altering our immune responses. It is almost totally a developed country disease.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    Anaphalaxic allergies (correct term?) are rising in children at an epidemic rate. People are so full of antibiotics that our DNA is changing which is altering our immune responses. It is almost totally a developed country disease.
    If I can be serious for a microsecond. I think that's a good point. I don't know of course, but it gels with my limited experience of MRSA for instance (ex is a nurse in London.)

A cough, a sneeze - a common bloody cold! - and back comes the present incumbent with a bag of antibiotics. Thing is - if she went to the doctor and he said 'stay in bed and take liquids' she'd be up in arms. She has to have a bag of pills otherwise she's not ill.

I've got a first aid cabinet in the house. It's for things like Band-Aids and the like - kitchen accidents, burns, scalds - and I open it up to find rows and rows of bloody antibiotics all left over from when she had a headache or the wind changed.

I chuck 'em down the bog. No messing. In the bog they go and a swift push of the handle. The rats can have 'em.

vCash
    Thanks

i've got a mystery illness right now. i suspect it's thrush--a yeast bloom resulting from a course of antibiotics to vanquish a sinus infection. haven't been to the doc's yet, though. it could be Instant Exploding Sudden Slow Death Syndrome, for which the only known cure is a 6-months course of Cipro... then, of course you explode after finishing the Cipro, but you get an extra 6 months...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

A cough, a sneeze - a common bloody cold! - and back comes the present incumbent with a bag of antibiotics.
    what are you doing with my wife?

Anyhow the main place we're getting our antibiotics is meat esp. chicken and pork.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    chicken and pork.
    Makes sense, now you come to mention it. I've never seen a chicken cough...

(Looks at pork burger with a bemused and downcast expression. Sighs heavily. Shrugs. Eats it. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.)

Reincarnated .. Again Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    if it obscures the English writing on it , I just put it back on the shelf.
    You must end up bringing your weekly groceries back in a small unmarked brown paper bag.

Miss Trix Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    i've got a mystery illness right now. i suspect it's thrush
    Get that sometimes when I wear tight jeans, you too zeus? Go for a bikini wax.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sentrix View Post
    Get that sometimes when I wear tight jeans, you too zeus? Go for a bikini wax.
    the mental picture of my (Homer, not Jessica) Simpsonesque physique stuffed into tight jeans brings on an entirely different sort of mystery illness. one involving projectile vomiting.

Miss Trix Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thrush is a woman's ailment, hence my comment. Where on your physique would you get thrush of all things? Try Canesten cream and yoghurt.

No space to add a decent Array you_me_no_savy_talk_talk's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I can't abide these finicky folk, picking away at their food
    thankfully there are not so many here, but what really drives me mad is the people who claim to be a step above vegan... "fruitarians". some of these tree hugging hipppies will eat only fruit, and only fruit that has fallen naturally to the floor. Seeds and nuts are the murder of future plants. I'm not sure how they feel on the topic of road kill, but I guess they see themselves above that.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast