-->
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 64 of 64

Thread: Asian financial Predictions: End of the World?

  1. #61
    Olive Brancher (*) Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trevsfriendbruce View Post
    ...economist and best-selling author Robert Wiedemer
    Neither are qualifications of actually knowing what he's talking about - particularly the 'economist' title makes him suspect.

    ---Update---

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...yes, the report referred to US companies hoarding USD...
    Two issues here:

    - why should companies not be holding on to their profits, as they realize they need whatever profits they generate now, to survive whatever even rougher times lie up ahead.

    - I suspect a lot of that 'hoarding' isn't actually dollar bills stuffed into mattresses, or stacked up in safes.

    - I'd rather suspect that these are currency and profits help abroad, from foreign earnings, that aren't being repatriated in order to avoid unreasonable taxation - and as long as the US, or states, aren't willing to deal, I see no reason for these companies to make an effort to repatriate their earnings.

  2. #62
    dis member Array zeusbheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Elision Fields
    Posts
    9,791
    vCash
    4500
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 244 Times in 217 Posts


    Rep Power
    65355
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling View Post
    You think he meant it?
    of course he did. polite chap.
    Imodium can't stop me.

  3. #63
    New Member Array trevsfriendbruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Thailand
    Posts
    26
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    - I suspect a lot of that 'hoarding' isn't actually dollar bills stuffed into mattresses, or stacked up in safes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I'd rather suspect that these are currency and profits help abroad, from foreign earnings, that aren't being repatriated in order to avoid unreasonable taxation - and as long as the US, or states, aren't willing to deal, I see no reason for these companies to make an effort to repatriate their earnings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Originally Posted by tomcat
    ...yes, the report referred to US companies hoarding USD...
    That refutes your suspicion I think...if they are USD they have been repatriated...they might be doing it because the dollar is down and they think it is going to rise...they might also be trying to shore up their share prices or...



    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    why should companies not be holding on to their profits, as they realize they need whatever profits they generate now, to survive whatever even rougher times lie up ahead.
    as you say...they are going to need cash in the future...which is what Wiedener has said...sure his motives may be suspect...but that doesn't mean there isn't an element of truth to what he says

  4. #64
    Olive Brancher (*) Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trevsfriendbruce View Post
    That refutes your suspicion I think...if they are USD they have been repatriated...they might be doing it because the dollar is down and they think it is going to rise...they might also be trying to shore up their share prices or...
    I was speculating - further, US companies always provide the value of their 'hoard' in US dollars.

    AAPL, for example, has nearly $80 billion in cash reserves, which they list as "US $" despite 60% of that money being held abroad.



    Quote Originally Posted by trevsfriendbruce View Post
    as you say...they are going to need cash in the future...which is what Wiedener has said...sure his motives may be suspect...but that doesn't mean there isn't an element of truth to what he says
    Everyone is going to need the cash in the future - which is why it is wise for companies to ignore the cries of investors to pay out dividends, or return the money to shareholders - this invariably leads to a guaranteed economic downfall.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. World Cup Predictions Thread
    By Robin Friday in forum The Sports Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13th June 2010, 09:27
  2. Cricket World Cup Predictions
    By happynz in forum The Sports Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 29th April 2007, 15:14
  3. Predictions...
    By DunceCap in forum The Virtual Pub
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 7th June 2006, 15:18
  4. World Cup Qualifying Matches (UEFA) Predictions
    By discus2000 in forum The Sports Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st April 2005, 22:33

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •