-->

Thread: Supposedly glamorous jobs that require no education whatsoever

vCash
    Thanks

Supposedly glamorous jobs that require no education whatsoever

How many times in Thailand did I hear about girls who aspired to be airline hostesses on Thai Airways? Glamorous and potentially hi-so, they think. Many of them probably top up their paltry salaries by shagging rich arabs.

But the reality is, what are the duties? Greeting passengers, serving food and drinks then walking about smiling pleasantly at passengers...hang on, that's just waitressing but 30,000 feet up in the air. Ok, travel is a perk, as are the free on board meals. Oh, and not accidentally giving Mr Abdul the pork stew is essential, but the ability to read will stop that gaffe happening.

Learning to demonstrate a pointless safety sketch isn't very taxing on the brain capacity.

My gripe is the so-called glamour attached to all that, I travel a lot and I have an aversion to some nobody uneducated over made up waitress telling me I can't visit the toilet because we're about to plummet head first into the Indian Ocean. But then again, she would be ok as swimming is probably the most demanding qualification on the application form.

DJs are seen as the pond-scum-sucking members of the entertainment industry...Why? Thanks to a general sterotype, people look for the cheapest DJ since “all we do is play music.”

Playing music non-stop on two music devices connected to a sound mixer. This requires the ability to get the next song ready while the other is playing to ensure a continuous volume of music. Sounds easy, and it is. Very.

The only investment is not in anything educational, but to be aware of music trends and to buy the right music. When I started I had to buy singles, small plastic round things that measured 7 inches wide. They cost £2 each, so to keep up with costs I had to make myself good enough to earn money from it.

Music is effectively free nowadays and people download it like there's no tomorrow. Give anyone three days on the net and they can create a full DJ collection.

The market is seriously flooded with amateur laptop DJs who play faceless music, not even the hits. Thailand is now full of these DJs playing for almost nothing just so they can stay in the country. And they are shit. (Usually they are French or Italian)

They might wave their arms a bit like they think they are supposed to, or undo their shirts, but pretty much everyone can now play the DJ, just like everyone can now use a computer. The allure is gone. So has the money. And I am bitter.
    Only the old timers like Tony Blackburn & Pat Sharp can demand the big cash it seems. Clubbers have that thing about the DJ being some kind of musical mystical guru so they can't see the difference between shit and quality.

When you go to a place and quickly notice that the music is wrong or bad, that's a crap DJ. When you don't notice, it usually means the opposite or no DJ at all. I mean, when you visit a cinema, do you care who the projectionist is?

Not too far from this is the cheer leader. Girls aspire to become a cheerleader. I thought it was just a optional American college pastime, but as a career? When you've shagged all the players (except the gay one) and learned all the jumping around waving frilly things about, isn't it time to move on?

Maybe get pregnant and claim welfare, or God forbid....get a job in a fast food establishment?

I take my hat off to the ever growing numbers of employees in places like Subway, Starbucks and McDonalds. All of them wanna pretend that the creation of a cup of coffee is complicated, what's so hard about pouring hot water over a teabag? Where's the intelligence in chucking a bag of frozen fries into luke warm oil?

A minority take things a bit too far. I had never heard a cashier at McD's telling me the food was delicious until I went to a branch in Bangkok. ''Aroy''...she told me. Was she on commision? Maybe by now she's the branch manager.

An Italian guy who works in the Starbucks nearby really goes to town on your order. And in an animated and exaggerated way, makes the latte in front of you complete with commentary in his so-called 'sexy' accent. Then he places it on the counter theatrically and winks. Women must love it, but me, at 7am, I felt rather uneasy...so I paid and left.

Same as modelling, which normally involves sleeping with some agency bigwig to get ahead, then finding out that there are more quicker oppourtunities to make cash by lap dancing, pole dancing, gyrating miserably on some low key cable tv station at 3am... or plain old whoring yourself..
    Went to the north of England last week, I was up near Cambridge

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm sorry, but it's quite obvious that you have very little understanding of the airline industry, or what it entails to be a stewardess (flight attendant, or, purser, if you prefer the more PC terms) - so your rant fails at the very outset.

vCash
    Thanks

^So tell me where I have been inaccurate